Fashion

How to incorporate New York Fashion Week into your own wardrobe

/ The Daily Orange

In order to truly enjoy the wonder and charm of New York’s Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, one must ferociously embody the spirit of whimsical fabrics, evening gowns and the enthusiasm of the fashion gods themselves. Mr. Jason Wu, I’m looking at you — or rather, your cosmic get-ups.

Now I’m not talking about sashaying across campus with your hair sleeked back and your eyebrows whitened out like you’re Kate Moss in 1999. I’m talking about indulging in the little touches, the pieces that can take an outfit from simple to sophisticated, from girly to glamorous.

It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the risky outfits and outrageous designs some designers put on the runway this weekend. Take, for example, Tibi’s boxy, oversized dresses, or Thakoon’s bird-embroidered blouses. Think of it as a way of throwing it all out there for aspiring young trendsetters to pick and choose at their own liking.

One could also look at it as a way for fashion designers to flaunt their luxurious pieces in a broke student’s tear-stained face, but that’s territory better left untouched. Since Fashion Week began, several versatile pieces are now catching the eyes of fashionable ladies across the country.

Let’s talk about floral pieces. The trend has hit its all-time high, especially since opening weekend on campus showed floral-flaunting at its best. From sneakers to clutches to the classic summer dress, it’s print galore out there. This week’s runways showed the versatile print in another form: needlepoint. Think of Grandma’s favorite carpet or tablecloth in the form of a skirt. Doesn’t sound too appealing, right?

However, the embroidered patterns have recently made waves at Dolce & Gabbana and are about to take over the handbag section at your favorite boutique. It’s as simple as adding a hair band or clutch to your wardrobe. You’ll be ready for the runway and bingo night all in the same outfit.

If bingo night doesn’t fit your schedule of extracurricular activities, though, take leather as your ticket to wilder, more adventurous activities. After spending a year in bright-colored bottoms, designers are trying to make things a little more black and white.

From Alexander Wang’s strategically-placed cutouts to Jason Wu’s leather skirts and brassiere-style tops, leather has moved from wild child appeal to chic status. Replacing your favorite bandage skirt or go-to party top with shiny leather material can produce the same effects for your night-out wardrobe. Wiping off the spilled drink from your newly added leather has never been easier.

Now, if you’re looking for a little risk taking in the outfit arena, the most difficult style to pull off this season won’t be the tantalizing fishnet stockings or the animal-print action. It’ll be the trend that will, quite literally, choke most fashionistas out of their element. Yes, we’re talking turtlenecks here.

From Jill Stuart to Billy Reid, designer collections showed the evolution from the lace Peter Pan collars we saw throughout the year to the buttoned-up collars inhabiting this week’s runways. With Syracuse winter weather appearing on savvy shoppers’ radars, picking up some high-collared jackets and sweaters won’t take much extra effort. However, resist the urge to go for a basic, long-sleeved turtleneck. Leave the collars of your outermost layers for a classier look.

For shoppers across the globe, New York Fashion Week is a first look at what will define the coming year in trends and style. With just a few days left of even more hullabaloo, it’s important to take it all in, step by step. Adding simple yet defining pieces to any outfit can create the perfect canvas for adventurous, new forays in the fashion arena.

Daisy Becerra is a junior magazine journalism major. Her column appears every other Monday. She can be reached at dsbecerr@syr.edu.