SUNY-ESF

SUNY-ESF offers educational exhibits at the New York State Fair

Renee Zhou | Asst. Photo Editor

The Great Shipwrecks exhibit at the New York State Fair is at the fair again this year.

UPDATED: Sept. 3, 2015 at 11:27 a.m.

SUNY-ESF is bringing science exhibits to the New York State Fair again this year.

The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry opened the fair on Aug. 27 with an exhibition of its Roosevelt Wild Life Collection and Department of Environmental and Forest Biology in the Science and Technology Building. The exhibition displayed a collection of birds, mammals, fish, reptiles and amphibians typically found in North America.

SUNY-ESF also highlighted its partnership with Windsor Wood USA at the START-UP NY exhibit on opening day. The START-UP NY program, an initiative created by New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo, provides companies with tax-related benefits to relocate or expand in the state, said Joe Rufo, vice president for administration at SUNY-ESF, in a release.

SUNY-ESF is also partnering with New York Sea Grant and the Great Lakes Research Consortium, a collection of research institutions in New York and Ontario that are committed to research and education about the Great Lakes.

The New York Sea Grant is hosting daily in-water demonstrations of remotely operated vehicles, and will transmit data to the exhibit tents for fairgoers to view.

The group is also showing an exhibit called the “Lakes of NY Over, Under, Around and Through: 21st Century Technologies Exhibit,” which offers a look at some high-tech components of the GLRC’s research on land and in the mini-state park reflecting pool, located across from the Horticulture Building.

Fair director Troy Waffner said in a GLRC press release that the Shipwrecks exhibit was so impressive last year the group was invited to showcase a new exhibit at this year’s fair.

The GLRC will also be showing SeaPerch ROVs, which are used for science, technology, engineering and mathematics education. There is also a remote sensing buoy in the reflecting pool that provides real time data on weather and water conditions at the fair.

SUNY-ESF, the GLRC and the New York Sea Grant will be at the fair until it ends on Sept. 7 in the New York State Parks area. These educational exhibits allow people to learn about what researchers from New York are working on.

The SUNY-ESF College Bookstore and Alumni Office will offer samples of the college’s maple syrup, maple cotton candy and maple cream on Sept. 4 in the Taste of New York area.