Britain Covey leads Utah receiving corps. in final season before 2-year mission trip

As Britain Covey quarterbacked his high school team to its second straight Division 4A state championship, Utah wide receiver Kenneth Scott watched the game on television. Escaping collapsing pockets, making defenders miss in the open field and possessing a nose for the end zone, Covey impressed his future teammate.

Set to join Utah for the following season, Scott knew Covey’s talents would allow him to make an immediate impact.

“I was like, this kid can play he’s elusive and explosive,” Scott said.  “I knew right away that he’d help in the slot.”

Even with his quarterbacking ability throughout high school, Covey’s exceeded expectations this season for No. 10 Utah. He leads the team with 450 receiving yards. He has four touchdowns on 37 receptions. His 235 yards on 18 punt returns an average of 13.1 yards is first in the Pacific-12.

But despite clawing his way into the starting lineup and finding success, Covey — a devout Mormon — plans to leave football for a two-year church mission at the season’s end.

“He’s been a big bright spot for us and we’re going to miss him in two years as he goes,” said Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham. “… He’s been everything we’ve hoped for and more.”

Though his brother Stephen played football at BYU, Covey felt drawn to play football for Utah. Being the first big program to express interest and offer a scholarship coupled with the Utes history of dynamic slot players made it the obvious choice.

While Covey’s 5-foot-8 frame makes him a natural candidate for slot receiver, the transition from high school quarterback didn’t happen organically. Covey knew throughout high school he would never play as a Division I quarterback and used free time to run routes with his brothers, Stephen and Christian.

Each a quarterback in high school, the trio spent early mornings on their high school’s field. Covey’s older brothers threw passes to him while he ran routes. Preparing for his inevitable position change proved challenging, but a commitment to running hard, sharp and clean routes helped Covey learn to separate from defenders and catch passes.

“I have a good level of quickness. I have good hands,” Covey said. “But where I really excel is when I get the ball in my hands and can make guys miss.”

His size led Covey to believe he needed to prove himself to his teammates, prove that he belonged. During the final week of summer conditioning, he ran the 40-yard dash.

Covey ran one of the fastest times on the team — 4.4 seconds. As teammates congratulated him on the accomplishment and the gritty work ethic from which it stemmed, Covey felt validated and could turn his attention to the field.

Still, people questioned his decision to leave Utah behind at season’s end in favor of a two-year long church mission. Covey, who’s assigned a destination in December, doesn’t doubt his decision. He wants to film his teammates reactions when he tells them where he’ll be serving.

Faith has always opened doors for him and he decided before the season started that, regardless of his success at Utah, he would still partake in the journey he’s dreamed about as a kid.

One of Covey’s favorite quotes comes from the movie “Chariots of Fire” and reads, “I believe that God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast and when I run, I feel his pleasure.”

For the freshman receiver, this mantra holds true to football. Football’s given him a platform to spread the word of his Mormon faith and with three years of eligibility left upon his return from the mission, Covey isn’t done with the sport.

“I’m not dumb. I definitely am giving up some great opportunities by going on this mission,” Covey said. “… But football’s fleeting and being able to do good lasts a lot longer.”