Style

Homan: Top 10 style icons of 2015

Every celebrity has her year of style. Some stay in the limelight for multiple years or even decades, but there is still one year that is her year — when it all started, or the peak year. In 2015, these 10 stars took trendsetting to the next level.

10. North West
From pink fur coats to Balmain blazers, this mini style icon’s wardrobe makes even adults jealous. Now that her younger brother Saint is in the picture, we’ll have to see which sibling wins best dressed in 2016.

9. Gigi Hadid
Known as a queen of street style, Hadid’s effortlessly cool fashion sense is constantly recognized on blogs and online. The model became a household name this year after gracing the covers of Vogue Italia and W, landing the Balmain fall 2015 campaign and walking in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show.

8. Maddie Ziegler
Ziegler showed the world she is more than just a young dancer this year. The “Dance Moms” star became Elle.com’s Fashion Week Correspondent for the February shows and also helped document the shows with Teen Vogue via Snapchat. Clearly, she has a place outside the dance floor.

7. Leandra Medine
The woman behind popular blog The Man Repeller went above and beyond this year, collaborating with fashion brand Veda on a capsule collection of outerwear. Medine is famous for her blogging skills, but expanding her talents with this collection made her a standout in 2015.

6. Zendaya
In February, Zendaya appeared at the Oscars in a stunning white gown and dreadlocks, sparking a conversation about black hair. While the former Disney Channel actress looked amazing at a lot of events throughout the year, this particular look was bold, glamorous and iconic.

5. Tess Holliday
This year, Holliday became the largest plus-size model to sign a major modeling contract. At size 22, Holliday became an inspiration for larger girls who want to be a part of the fashion world.

4. Rihanna
Rihanna is not new to the title of style icon, but the dress she wore to this year’s Met Gala forces her to be recognized this year. Her yellow Chinese couture gown with a humongous train stole the show and had fashion folks buzzing for months.

3. Essena O’Neill
O’Neill was a trendsetter in a more unusual way in 2015. The Instagram-famous style star started a campaign to show that social media is not real, starting by telling the world about the heavy editing and sponsorships behind her seemingly perfect photos. Although O’Neill was an example of great style on her now-deleted Instagram photos, her more important trendsetting was in taking them away and revealing reality.

2. Rowan Blanchard
The 14-year-old “Girl Meets World” actress broke out as a major star this year. In addition to her acting chops, Blanchard became known for her outspoken voice on feminist issues. And while managing all that, the teenager somehow managed to add fashion to the table, too, inspiring Instagram-envy after posting photos of herself in whimsical dresses and chic accessories.

1. Kendall Jenner
We heard Jenner’s name so much in 2015 that most of us are sick of it. Still, there’s no denying she led the trendsetting game this year. Jenner nearly broke the Internet when she wore a long fringe belt as a skirt over pants in November. Now, every blogger and style aficionado has tried to recreate the look.

Jackie Homan is a sophomore magazine journalism major. You can email her at jahoman@syr.edu or follow her @jackie_homan on Twitter.