Juniors create motivational fitness program, G.R.I.N.D. Athletics

Shira Stoll | Staff Photographer

G.R.I.N.D., in both Project G.R.I.N.D. and G.R.I.N.D. Athletics, stands for "Greatness Resides In Non-stop Dedication."

After the first semester of his freshman year, Bilal Vaughn weighed 315 pounds.

Vaughn, an information management and technology major, looked at himself in the mirror and said, “Damn, I look big.” Through a strict fitness routine and nutrition program, he turned his life around and has not looked back, he said.

Now a junior and 105 pounds lighter, Vaughn finds himself in the gym five to six times a week with his good friend and workout partner Larson Bodden, a junior health and exercise science major. The duo found a mutual interest in inspiring others through fitness last semester and has since created a motivational fitness program called G.R.I.N.D. Athletics.

G.R.I.N.D, or Greatness Resides In Non-stop Dedication, is a fitting name for the newly formed athletic organization — both Vaughn and Bodden hit the gym with a set routine almost every day. They follow their self-made weight-lifting plan strictly, Bodden said.

Each day, we correlate with a body part: Monday you have chest day, Tuesday is back day, Wednesday we do legs, Thursday you have shoulder, and Friday and Saturday are generally a mix of arm, back and legs.
Larson Bodden

Though weightlifting is an important factor in G.R.I.N.D.’s program, both Bodden and Vaughn preach that “cardio is king,” and that balanced nutrition is also important. Both take daily vitamins, amino acids and whey protein in order to supplement their bodies after a workout.

“Fitness is 80 percent nutrition and 20 percent lifting,” Bodden said.

The organization is slowly building a reputation on campus by posting videos of its high-intensity sets on its Instagram account in addition to selling and offering workout plans and providing information sessions.

Before Bodden began spending most of his time in the gym, he could be found on the field. He was a two-sport athlete in high school, excelling in baseball and football. However, Bodden’s long history of injuries stunted his future in the sports industry and shifted his focus toward rehabilitation and weight lifting.

“Every time I would get injured, I had a physical therapist or trainer and I would see what they had to do to get me back where I needed to be,” Bodden said. “The process really stuck with me and made me think, ‘Oh, this is cool. This is something I can see myself doing in life.’”

Although Vaughn has inspired many with his 105-pound weight loss and work in the weight room, he has been dedicated to fitness and motivation outside of the gym as well. As co-founder of the youth empowerment organization Project G.R.I.N.D., he has spent time off campus mentoring and motivating young students to make healthy decisions since his freshman year.

Last semester, Vaughn was at the gym when he was approached by a few students wondering how they could execute specific exercises. He realized that he could inspire students through the same principles that Project G.R.I.N.D. was founded on: reaching greatness through non-stop dedication.

The jump was pretty smooth because I was in the gym always with Larson and the other G.R.I.N.D. Athletics guys. We would be in the gym and people would come up and ask us how to do certain exercises and stuff and we would give them the tools to do that. It kind of just had to happen.
Bilal Vaughn

Vaughn and Bodden initially came up with the idea to start G.R.I.N.D. Athletics last spring, but this semester they hit the ground running.

Despite having 402 followers on Instagram as of 5:30 p.m. Wednesday night, G.R.I.N.D. Athletics T-shirts and a growing social media presence, the process has not been easy.

Their attempts to draw big crowds at information and training sessions have been unsuccessful, as Bodden said it is tough to find people who are motivated to regularly hit the gym.

Vaughn said it is difficult for people to get started in the fitness world. He wants to inspire others by sharing his weight loss story, hopefully motivating them to join G.R.I.N.D. Athletics in their quest to stay healthy.

“Everything is challenging,” Bodden said. “It’s challenging finding motivated people to actually come out and share a common passion to do this type of thing and to get people involved.”

G.R.I.N.D. Athletics is looking to expand next semester in order to motivate those lacking the drive to work out. In the spring, Vaughn and Bodden will be running boot camps, a training series, tri-weekly workouts and programs that pair those interested with other athletes and trainers on campus.

The organization also plans to show other training opportunities at SU by taking participants to boxing workshops, dance workshops and kickball games. Vaughn and Bodden said the trick is to find a way to workout and stay dedicated.

“There’s an athlete in every single person, they just have to find it,” Vaughn said