Style

Homan: 10 Trend Predictions for 2016

From “athleisure” to mom jeans, 2015 was an interesting year for fashion. We saw a rise in comfort-focused clothing and shoes, and we wore outfits that nodded to almost every previous decade. While some popular styles of 2015 will fade away in the upcoming year, there are several to hang on to. Plus, there will likely be a handful of brand new trends this year. Here are my predictions for what everyone will be wearing in 2016.

5 New Trends

1. Rose Quartz & Serenity

The Pantone Color of the Year for 2016 differs from all previous colors of the year. Instead of choosing a single color, Pantone announced the blending of two shades. The warm rose tone and the cool blue tone will likely be seen all throughout fashion in the upcoming year. Pantone recommends pairing the shades with greens and purples, rich browns and all shades of yellow and pink.

2. Culottes

These wide-leg, knee-length trousers aren’t that new to the runway; they have technically been in style for at least a year or two now. But still, culottes have not managed to catch on for everyday wear by college students. I predict that 2016 will finally be their year—it’s time for ’Cuse to embrace the culottes.

3. Patchwork

Whether it is patchwork faux fur, patchwork denim or a patchwork suede skirt, this is a fun new trend that could really take off this year. Patchwork was popular in the ‘70s, and it’s ready to make a comeback.

4. Low-rise pants

This could be kind of unfortunate, but it is also a major possibility. We have held onto our high-waisted bottoms for a while now, and it might be time for a change. While low-rise pants seem sort of scary, they can be styled in cool new ways and bring about a fashionable revolution.

5. Pouch belts

I don’t know many girls who wear belts very often, but I think they could really come through in 2016. Madewell, Zara and several designer lines have introduced different versions of a pouch belt: a belt with a small pocket-like pouch on the front to hold a phone or other small item. It sounds like it could be tacky, but in nice leather like the ones I’ve seen, it actually looks pretty cool. Think of it as an updated fanny pack, but more serious and more stylish.

5 Trends to Continue

1. Fringe

We saw fringe everywhere this year, and it isn’t going out of style anytime soon. Designers are constantly thinking of new ways to incorporate it beyond the basic and overdone ways. For 2016, try it out as a detail on sweaters and hemlines.

2. Booties

The reign of booties is not over yet. The short mini-boots have replaced riding boot styles for the most part. Booties are easier to wear, more versatile, and always look stylish.

3. Turtlenecks

These tops and sweaters blew up in popularity in the past few months, and there is no reason to let go of them yet. They look classy and chic, and will keep us warm when we get thrown back into sub-zero weather.

4. Off-the-shoulder tops

Long-sleeved tops worn off both shoulders are here to stay for 2016. Try pairing one with a leather mini skirt and booties for a night out, or wear one with distressed boyfriend jeans for a more casual look.

5. Ponchos

Thick, cozy ponchos will remain a key look for the upcoming year. Try them in a plaid fabric for a perfect fall and winter piece.

Jackie Homan is a sophomore magazine journalism major. You can email her at jahoman@syr.edu or follow her @jackie_homan on Twitter.