Student Association

SA Briefs: 3 takeaways from Monday’s meeting (March 21)

Frankie Prijatel | Staff Photographer

SA's Monday night meeting included discussions about off-campus safety, the report published by the Chancellor's Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion and the upcoming SA debate.

Here are three takeaways from the Student Association’s Monday night meeting in Maxwell Auditorium:

Off-Campus Safety and Security

Alexander Lynch, a senior citizenship and civic engagement major who created a survey that focused on how Syracuse University can step up to protect students living off campus for his senior project, explained to the Student Association his proposition to install CCTV police cameras around off-campus areas that are heavily inhabited by students. Lynch also discussed his proposal to create a Community Safety and Security Analyst position in order to reduce the amount of students affected by crime.

Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion

SA Vice President Jane Hong addressed the assembly regarding the final report published by the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion, which was released to the public on Monday. Hong shared key aspects of the report with the assembly and said the workgroup, of which she is a part, focused its energy on making sustainable changes.

SA Debate

SA will host a debate on March 28 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. for students running for SA president and vice president. So far, two people have announced their candidacy for the positions. The debate will take place in the Stolkin Auditorium inside the Physics Building and will occur in lieu of an SA general assembly meeting.