Ask the Experts

Syracuse University professors discuss importance of 1st woman being nominated to head combatant command

Devyn Passaretti | Head Illustrator

For the first time in United States history, a woman has been nominated to head a combatant command. U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter announced on March 18 that Air Force Gen. Lori Robinson will lead the U.S. Northern Command if the nomination is approved by the Senate.

The Department of Defense divides the world into six different regions, and each is led by a four-star general. Since earning her fourth star in 2014, Robinson has commanded the U.S. air forces in the Pacific. The promotion will make her in charge of U.S. Northern Command (USNORTHCOM), which is based in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and was created after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks as a way to respond to domestic threats, according to The New York Times.

To get a perspective on the historic nomination, The Daily Orange interviewed via email Kristi Andersen, professor of political science and senior research associate at Syracuse University’s Campbell Public Affairs Institute, and Robin Riley, director of LGBT studies and an assistant professor of women’s and gender studies who specializes in gender, militarism and war at SU.

lucy_gfx_720

Lucy Naland | Design Editor

The Daily Orange: What does this nomination mean and why is it important?

Kristi Andersen: It’s the first time a woman has received this type of appointment. Because these commands … go to four-star generals or admirals, one important take-away here is that there are now women in these very high military positions. General Robinson was previously the commander of all U.S. air forces in the Pacific.

Robin Riley: I think anytime women get new opportunities it’s good for all women. The road to promotion for women in the military — which has a large impact on women’s careers when they leave the military — had been closed prior to the lifting of the combat ban so this appointment is a sign that things are progressing for women both inside and outside the military.

The D.O.: Do you think the Senate will confirm the nomination?

K.A.: There is no reason she shouldn’t be confirmed, except that the Senate has delayed many Obama appointees — including many judicial and ambassadorial appointments.

R.R.: I think usually these nominations go through without controversy and I would hope that the Senate would be aware that fighting this particular one would signal that sexism is alive and well in that body.

The D.O.: Since Defense Secretary Ash Carter opened up combat roles to women, has there been an influx of women in combat?

K.A.: This was only announced a few months ago. I doubt we would see much — if any — change in the numbers yet.

The D.O.: If Robinson’s nomination is approved, how will this pave the way for other women to hold military leadership positions?

K.A.: Having more women in these (and other) leadership positions serves as positive demonstration and helps to break down resistance (which still exists in the military) to the idea of female leadership.

R.R.: Robinson’s appointment swings the door wide for women interested in joining the military to improve their life’s chances for economic opportunities and for those who seek military careers.