Former SU professor launches ‘Trumpmania’ exhibit at Wescott Theatre

Donald Trump is a divisive character. Still, he’s bringing together more than just his fans.

Artists from around world came together to produce one art exhibit. “Trumpmania” made its world premiere at Syracuse’s Westcott Theatre on Monday and now is headed to New York City and Rochester.

Anthony Rotolo, a former Syracuse University professor, put the exhibit together. “Trumpmania” brings together works from different artists from the U.S., Mexico, Europe, the Middle East and Latin America. The exhibit includes paintings, sculptures, animation and mixed media.

Trump’s divisiveness shows in the exhibit, as it features pieces from artists both criticizing and celebrating Trump.

For example, Montana cartoonist Ben Garrison, who has six prints in the exhibit, is pro-Trump. Garrison said that he is one of the few artists in the exhibit who portrayed Trump in a positive light, and that Rotolo liked the way his pieces balanced out the show.

Garrison does not shy away from controversy in his cartoons, nor does he shy away from his political beliefs.

“The fact that Trump is being viciously smeared by the media and by establishment politicians means he’s a sincere herald of change. He’s a threat to their power and money,” he said. “He wants to bring back prosperity and jobs to the middle class, and he possesses the business acumen to do it.”

While the exhibit as a whole doesn’t hold one particular view in regards to Trump, Rotolo has a personal goal: to emphasize free speech. He said that in the case of this show, he hopes to highlight what makes America great, and that’s its first amendment rights. He said:

The fact is that here in America, we can have a showing of politically charged artwork from all viewpoints, and we can do so with respect and appreciation for each other. It's a metaphor, maybe call it a hope, for the election this fall.
Anthony Rotolo

The art exhibit will not be matched with sound. This silence will hopefully allow people to really think and absorb all that Trump is saying, Rotolo said, while not getting caught up in a heated political debate.

However, not all of the responses have been positive. This is especially apparent on “Trumpmania” Facebook advertisements.

“It’s incredible how many people see a post or flier for “Trumpmania,” don’t read it, and post a very nasty comment, usually profane and hostile,” Rotolo said. “People react without thinking, which has a lot to do with the fears and anxieties we are all feeling politically this year.”

Rotolo added that most of the hostile responses are from the anti-Trump crowd. He said many people automatically assume that the show will only show pro-Trump artwork and thus react poorly.

Additionally, he added that some of the public responses have really opened his eyes to the realities of the U.S. electorate. He has gained a new awareness for how people push away, or become angry at seeing, content about a candidate they disagree with.

In addition to the shows planned for New York City and Rochester later this week, Rotolo plans to take his exhibit further across the country. He said he wants to take the art to Pennsylvania before the state’s primary and maybe even other locations around the U.S.

As the tour continues, Rotolo will look to gain more pieces for the exhibit. He said more information will be posted on the exhibit’s website for those interested.

Trump has polarized a nation by speaking his mind, and Rotolo has brought artists together and given them a platform to speak theirs.