Student Association

Student Association officials give updates on key initiatives at semester’s final meeting

Liam Sheehan | Asst. Photo Editor

The SA assembly elected three members to new positions on Monday night.

Student Association President Aysha Seedat and Vice President Jane Hong announced Monday that mobile printing and the bike share program will be implemented in the fall. Both Seedat and Hong have been working on these initiatives for the past year.

The SA assembly also elected on Monday a new speaker, Board of Trustees representative and parliamentarian, and honored its graduating members. SA members shared their final thoughts on the spring 2016 semester and updates on various initiatives.

After heavily contested elections, Caitlin Smith was elected speaker, Jose Marrero-Rosado was elected as the Board of Trustees representative and Jack Harding was elected as parliamentarian.

Smith is a freshman in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, Marrero-Rosado is a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences and Harding is also a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

In her final assembly report, Seedat announced that the third stage of the initiative to make the SU campus tobacco-free will be starting in 2017 and will affect places such as the Syracuse Stage and the Sheraton University Hotel and Conference Center.

Additionally, Seedat said mobile printing will be launched this fall. She added that the planning for that initiative is pretty much complete and will be tested over the summer. Seedat expects students will be able to print from their mobile devices in the fall 2016 semester. The system will enable students to airdrop a file and then print it through a mobile device.

Seedat talked more about plans for the car-free promenade on University Place, one of the three potential promenades for the Campus Framework, which is part of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s three-part Fast Forward initiative.

Seedat informed the assembly that construction of the promenade will begin on May 16, the day after commencement, and is expected to be completed in time for the fall semester.

Seedat and Hong also announced that there will soon be wheelchair accessible ramps going up the gateway to the Remembrance Wall.

In Hong’s final report to the assembly, she said that the bike share program is on track to be up and running in the fall, with a total of eight bicycles expected to start off the initiative.

Seedat also announced that the university is seeking suggestions for a new Wi-Fi network name. This new network will allow students to connect something like an Apple TV as well as other wireless products to a university network from their dorms.

SA’s graduating seniors shared their stories about why they joined SA and what SA has meant to them, in addition to giving advice to the other SA members.

“I joined the Student Association my first week on campus … the first thing I did was go to the office and pick up a position so it’s very surreal for me to have come full circle,” Hong said. “More than anything I am grateful for the relationships I have fostered through SA.”

Seedat had a similar sentiment when talking about the relationships she has established through SA and the respect she has for the people she worked with.

Seedat addressed the assembly and said: “It’s been an honor to work with all of you.”

SA members also shared a video thanking Seedat, Hong and Comptroller Phil Kramer. The video moved many in the assembly to tears.

CORRECTION: The number of bikes the program will start with was misstated. The program will have eight bikes. The Daily Orange regrets this error.