Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse and Canisius postponed with score tied at 10 in 2nd half

Sunday night’s game between No. 4 Syracuse (10-3, 3-1 Atlantic Coast) and Canisius (5-5, 2-0 Metro Atlantic) was postponed with 6:05 remaining in regulation and the score knotted at 10 due to weather conditions. Syracuse had been leading 10-7 before surrendering three straight goals but snow on the field forced officials to postpone the game.

The game against Canisius marked the back end of a home-away doubleheader. Syracuse defeated No. 14 Duke (8-5, 3-1 ACC) 14-12 Sunday afternoon before leaving straight from the Carrier Dome for the second game against the unranked Golden Griffins.

“It’s not an ideal situation, I got to be honest,” SU head coach Gary Gait said earlier in the day following the Duke win. “… We’ll get the game in and it should be an interesting game up in snowy Buffalo.”

Canisius jumped out to a 1-0 lead just two minutes into the first half. The two teams seemed evenly matched and traded goals until the Orange outscored the Griffins in the last 17:53 of the half to grab a 7-5 lead going into halftime.

Syracuse scored a few quick goals to begin the second half and looked poised to finish the game strong, but SU collapsed in the final 6:57 before the game was called. In a short 1:25, Canisius exploded for three quick goals to tie the game at 10-10.

Taylor Giglio of Canisius netted three goals, and both Tessa Chad and Allie Stewart added two scores apiece. Riley Donahue scored two goals for the Orange.

Play will resume Tuesday in Canisius at a time to be determined.