Football Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: 3-star Ohio running back Weston Bridges picks Michigan State over Syracuse

Syracuse lost out on one of its Class of 2017 targets on Tuesday afternoon when three-star running back Weston Bridges committed to Michigan State.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound rusher chose the Spartans over Syracuse, Rutgers, Purdue and Indiana. He announced the five finalists on Monday.

The Copley (Ohio) High School junior is the 31st best running back in his class, according to Scout.com. He is also a three-star on 247Sports.com’s composite rankings, but ranks as the 44th best running back in his class. He is not graded by ESPN.com.

He had 1,620 yards on 185 carries and punched in 29 scores on the ground during his junior season, per his Hudl.com player page. Per the page, he added eight pass catches for 157 yards and two scores.

The Orange lost out on a three-star offensive player for the second time in a week. On April 20, three-star Florida wide receiver Daewood Davis flipped from SU to Florida Atlantic.

Bridges visited Syracuse in February with four-star quarterback Kasim Hill. Bridges reportedly visited East Lansing, Michigan twice since early April. On his second visit, he told 247Sports that he received the MSU offer he’d been “praying” for.

Syracuse’s running back situation in 2017 — barring transfers, redshirts or early departures for the NFL Draft — will be upperclassman heavy. The Orange will have eight running backs already, including one freshman (Jo-el Shaw), two sophomores (Otto Zaccardo and Moe Neal), four juniors (Jacob Hill, Dontae Strickland, Jordan Fredericks and Tyrone Perkins) and one senior (Ervin Philips).