Women's lacrosse

Syracuse rides career-best day from Nicole Levy to land in ACC tournament semifinals

Hannah Wagner | Staff Photographer

Nicole Levy picked apart Boston College for five goals to propel Syracuse to the penultimate round of the ACC tournament.

Freshman Nicole Levy made two quick steps and the Boston College defenders pulled back, a sign of respect to the freshman who already netted three goals on the day. Instead of continuing toward the net, Levy hesitated and the defenders matched her, frozen in hopes of containing the scoring threat.

But it didn’t matter. Levy took the space and ripped a low shot that hovered inches above the ground before reaching the back of the net. The goal, her fourth of the game, gave SU a 10-6 lead.

Levy scored another goal to cap off a career-high five-score performance and lead a spirited second-half as second-seeded Syracuse (15-4, 5-2 Atlantic Coast) defeated No. 7 seed Boston College (10-8, 2-5 Atlantic Coast), 16-11, on Thursday at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Earlier in the year, in arguably its worst loss of the season, Syracuse fell 13-8 on the road against Boston College. The Orange had a season-low two assists and it marked the first time all season SU never held a lead.

But in this game the Orange held a one-goal lead at halftime, and Syracuse scored five straight to begin the final 30 minutes, outscoring the Eagles 9-5 in that span.

Boston College began the game with two straight goals, but Levy responded quickly with a pair of her own. As the Boston College defense was preoccupied with SU’s leading scorer Kayla Treanor, who only scored one goal Thursday, space was left for Levy to fill with quick cuts to the net and shot opportunities.

The two teams traded goals throughout the remainder of the first half before Syracuse headed to the locker room with a 7-6 lead.

Riley Donahue scored two goals out of the break and midfielders Erica Bodt and Taylor Gait added one apiece to stretch out the Orange’s lead. It wasn’t until 15:29 remained in the second half before Boston College netted its first goal of the final stanza.

But the goal propelled the Eagles forward and the team didn’t submit, despite the SU offense imposing its will. Boston College continued to compete, outscoring the Orange over the final 15:29, but the damage from the scoring run had already run its course.

Syracuse next plays the winner of Louisville and Notre Dame Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the ACC semifinals.