Commencement 2016

Best restaurants for the perfect graduation dinner

Kelli Mosher | Staff Photographer

Aster Pantry & Parlor serves several different international cuisines on its menu.

Graduation from high school is a time of uninhibited celebration. Sprawling suburban lawns, rented party tents and perhaps a little underage drinking may or may not have painted the graduation nights of many students before they embarked on the journey to Syracuse. But for most college students, graduation night is characterized by a nice family dinner out at a restaurant. Here are the best places to eat food that isn’t from GrubHub on that special night.

Joey’s Italian Restaurant 

Located just off the rotary near the New York State Thruway, Joey’s Italian Restaurant serves classic family meals. From one Italian to other Italians, this is the place in Syracuse for a plate of ravioli or fettuccini. However, anyone, regardless of heritage, can enjoy these hand-crafted dishes. Joey’s is notorious for being absolutely slammed during graduation weekend, so definitely try to make a reservation.

Bistro Elephant

Bistro Elephant is an upscale steakhouse owned by the same people who own Lemongrass, a Thai restaurant located just next door. Bistro Elephant offers quality meals with the added atmosphere of Armory Square, perfect for hitting up Bittersweet Wine Bar & Desserts just a few blocks away for a glass of wine and one of their many sweet treats.

Eva’s European Sweets

Contrary to what the name might suggest, Eva’s European Sweets has been a mainstay in Syracuse for 17 years, serving quality Polish food. Located in a brick and red clapboard house typical of residential Syracuse architecture, the atmosphere is cozy and homely, and provides comfort food and a family ambiance.

The 317

This restaurant doesn’t offer a wide selection of meals, but the options are borderline gourmet: pistachio-crusted salmon, roast duck and a chicken roulade with puff pastry, mushrooms, artichokes, mozzarella and roast potatoes grace the menu. In line with its name, the restaurant is located at 317 Montgomery Street.

Aster Pantry & Parlor

Aster Pantry & Parlor is relatively new to Amory square, having opened up shop in 2015.  The menu borrows flavors from several international cuisines including Italian, French, Spanish and Greek, so people with all different tastes and preferences will find something delicious on the Aster menu.

Mizu Japanese Steakhouse

This Asian restaurant offers hibachi as well as many other Japanese favorites like sushi, tempura, udon and teriyaki. Mizu Japanese Steakhouse is an easy drive from campus, right on Erie Boulevard by Le Moyne College. Its pleasant atmosphere is perfect for celebrating graduation.