Here’s an update on Syracuse University’s campus construction projects for the summer

Rachel Gilbert | Feature Editor

More than 120 construction projects on the Syracuse University campus are being worked on this summer.

An email with updates on campus construction projects was sent from Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer, to the Syracuse University community on Monday.

In the email Sala included a list of construction projects the university is currently working on for the summer and said he would continue to update the campus community each week.

Here are this week’s campus construction updates Sala detailed in his email:

• Renovation in Haven and Flint halls, including creating new “team rooms” for small group activities and quiet study space; replacing current flooring; updating network wiring and the fire alarm system; and other important enhancements
  • Roof replacements for Link Hall, Newhouse II, the Schine Student Center Dining Wing and the Heroy Geology Laboratory, among other buildings
  • A new pathway for electrical service to Brewster, Brockway and Boland halls
  • Renovation of bathrooms in the long wing of DellPlain Hall, which includes converting multi-user bathrooms to single occupant bathrooms

Sala also provided an update on the University Place promenade in his email. He said all of the site access controls — which includes fencing off the site; establishing temporary walkways at Lyman Hall, Schine and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications; and installing necessary signage — has been completed.

Other construction updates involving the promenade include, according to the email:

• The university is in the progress of installing additional signage at all impacted buildings and along approaching roadways and sidewalks adjacent to the project site.
  • Beginning last week, University Place was officially closed to vehicular traffic and buses are now being rerouted to Waverly and Comstock avenues.
  • SU has started the regarding process in the area between Slocum and Lyman halls and construction on the new drive from College Place to the Quad 2 Parking Lot has begun.
  • In the area north of Machinery Hall electrical infrastructure work has started.
  • A temporary water main has been installed that the university is using to connect to surrounding buildings. This will allow for the existing water main to be taken out of service and replaced in the next two weeks.

These construction projects are just a few of the more than 120 projects the university is working on this summer, Sala said in the email. A full list and detailing of SU’s summer construction projects can be found here.

Sala also mentioned in his email the information sessions about the summer construction projects that the university will be hosting between now and August.

In addition, Sala said in the email that Comstock Avenue will be closed between Waverly Avenue and Marshall Street, and Waverly Avenue will be closed between Comstock and Ostrom avenues. This closure is tentatively scheduled to last through Aug. 15, he said. But the intersection of Waverly and Comstock avenues will remain open. Sala included this map of the street closures in his email.

Due to resealing work, Sala said in the email that the enclosed stairway leading from Irving Avenue to the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics will be temporarily closed beginning this Wednesday. This project should be completed by June 20, he said. Alternative routes are available and can be found here.