Around the ACC: Check out key games in the ACC landscape this weekend

Chase Guttman | Staff Photographer

Clemson takes on Troy in both teams' second game of the season. The Tigers are currently ranked No. 2 in the country.

This weekend, two Atlantic Coast Conference squads take on ranked teams when Virginia takes on No. 24 Oregon and Virginia Tech takes on No. 17 Tennessee. Check out the rest of the action this weekend.

No. 3 Florida State (1-0) vs. Charleston Southern (1-1)

Florida State was in danger of going 0-1 to start the season, trailing 28-13 at halftime to Ole Miss. But Deondre Francois led a big comeback in crunch time, totaling 419 yards in the air and another 59 on the ground. The Seminoles will face a lighter opponent in Week 2 as Charleston Southern travels to Tallahassee, Florida.

Game time: Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
TV: ACC Network
Betting line: OddsShark.com does not have any odds posted for the game.
SU week opponent: The Orange plays Florida State in Week 12.

No. 2 Clemson (1-0) vs. Troy (1-0)

Like Florida State, Clemson received a scare in Week 1 from an SEC opponent. Unlike the Seminoles, however, the Tigers faced unranked Auburn. They held on to win, 19-13, on the road, but will try and work out some kinks against Troy.

Game time: Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
TV: ACC Network
Betting line: Clemson -35.5
SU week opponent: The Orange plays Clemson in Week 10.

Duke (1-0) vs. Wake Forest (1-0)

Duke won its fifth straight season opener by beating NC Central, 49-6, in a commanding triumph. Wake Forest also posted a “1” in the win column in the first week, but did so in different style. Despite just 175 yards of total offense, the Demon Deacons beat Tulane, 7-3. Saturday’s contest is the only ACC-on-ACC action this week.

Game time: Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
TV: ESPNU
Betting line: Duke -5
SU week opponent: The Orange plays Wake Forest in Week 6 and does not play Duke this year.

No. 24 Oregon (1-0) vs. Virginia (0-1)

It was a rough start to the season for Virginia, losing to area rival Richmond, 37-20, at home. Things aren’t getting any easier for the Cavaliers, despite decent quarterback play, as they travel to Oregon this week to face the No. 24-ranked Ducks.

Game time: Saturday at 10:30 p.m.
TV: ESPN
Betting line: Oregon -24.5
SU week opponent: The Orange does not play Virginia this year.

Illinois (1-0) vs. North Carolina (0-1)

North Carolina came into the season ranked No. 22 in the country but couldn’t hold on to beat then-No. 18 Georgia at home. The Tar Heels led 24-14 in the second half before Georgia’s run game, which totaled 289 yards, got to the UNC defense. Larry Fedora’s squad will look to get its first win Saturday on the road against former Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith’s Fighting Illini.

Game time: Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
TV: Big Ten Network
Betting line: UNC -7.5
SU week opponent: The Orange does not play North Carolina this year.

No. 25 Miami (1-0) vs. Florida Atlantic (1-0)

Miami, led by former Georgia head coach Mark Richt, crept into the national rankings this week after a dominating 70-3 win over Florida A&M. Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya threw four touchdown passes and Miami set a school record with 42 third-quarter points.

Game time: Saturday at 6 p.m.
TV: ACC Network
Betting line: Miami -24
SU week opponent: The Orange does not play Miami this year.

Pittsburgh (1-0) vs. Penn State (1-0)

In a Pennsylvania battle, Pittsburgh and Penn State will square off at Heinz Field. Both teams are coming off strong Week 1 performances. Pittsburgh topped Villanova, 28-7, while the Nittany Lions, after honoring controversial former head coach Joe Paterno pregame, topped Kent State.

Game time: Saturday at Noon
TV: ESPN
Betting line: Pitt -5
SU week opponent: The Orange plays Pittsburgh in Week 13, the final week of the season.

Massachusetts (0-1) vs. Boston College (0-1)

The last time Boston College won a football game, Pope Francis was in the United States and Syracuse had just lost to LSU in the Carrier Dome. It’s been 350 days. But the Eagles are favored by 17 points Saturday against Bay State rival Massachusetts.

Game time: Saturday at Noon
TV: ESPN3
Betting line: Boston College -17
SU week opponent: The Orange plays Boston College in Week 8.

East Carolina (1-0) vs. N.C. State (1-0)

Following one of the tighter ACC preseason starting quarterback battles, NC State got off to a solid start in Week 1 with a 48-14 win over William & Mary. Now the Wolfpack heads to East Carolina for an in-state battle against the Pirates.

Game time: Saturday at Noon
TV: ESPNU
Betting line: NC State -5.5
SU week opponent: The Orange plays NC State in Week 11.

Georgia Tech (1-0) vs. Mercer (1-0)

There’s only one team in the ACC that’s undefeated in conference play — the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. They won the only ACC game played so far. Now it’s on to Mercer in Week 2 but Tech will be shorthanded come Saturday as running backs Dedrick Mills and KirVonte Benson have been suspended for the game.

Game time: Saturday at 3 p.m.
TV: ACC Network
SU week opponent: The Orange does not play Georgia Tech this year.

No. 17 Tennessee (1-0) vs. Virginia Tech (1-0)

New Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente got his first win in Week 1 with a 36-13 victory over in-state foe Liberty. But Fuente will take his Hokies team to Bristol, Tennessee on Saturday to face the No. 17 Tennessee Volunteers, who escaped an upset bid from Appalachian State in Week 1.

Game time: Saturday at 8 p.m.
TV: ABC
Betting line: Tennessee -11.5
SU week opponent: The Orange plays Virginia Tech in Week 7.