Meet Monday

Fengzhang Wang teaches students to love learning

Prince Dudley | Staff Photgrapher

Fengzhang Wang moved to Beijing with her parents at age 5 but still visited her grandparents on the weekends.

Fengzhang Wang never fails to bring out a smile from a child. Whether it’s on the subway, or passing someone on the street, they will always return a grin.

“I just hope to be a good role model,” Wang beamed across the table where she sat studying in Marshall Square Mall.

It is this natural affinity for childcare that brought Wang to the United States from her native country, China. She said China is lagging in the field, and she wants to raise the bar when it comes to childhood education and care.

The freshman child and family studies major grew up in rural China. She lived with her grandparents because her parents worked in the city. Many of her early memories are of sharing her secrets with her grandparents.

Wang moved to Beijing with her parents at age 5 but still visited her grandparents on the weekends. Now that she lives in Syracuse, the distance is even greater.

“Now I feel I miss my grandparents more because I am so distant from them,” Wang said. “And they’re not so familiar with the whole FaceTime thing.”

The transition to life in the U.S. has brought out mixed feelings in Wang. She loves the teaching style, interactive with participation and questions. Back home, Wang said she was used to being lectured at for a whole class period. If she doesn’t understand something here, she will drop by office hours.

When Wang first arrived at Syracuse University, she studied education and opted to live in the learning community in Flint Hall. Everyone on the floor was very welcoming, she said, and next year, she may live with one of her neighbors who is also from China.

Despite this, Wang said she wouldn’t make friends just because someone comes from the same country. She will befriend anyone who is loyal and will stick with her. Many of Wang’s friends have been made outside of class. When she wants to try something new, she will do it, whether others are going with her or not.

In her free time, Wang enjoys reading — one of her favorite books is “The Lord of the Rings.” One quote that sticks out to her from the story is: “Not all who wander are lost.” Wang feels this applies to her because she knows what she wants to do, but her path is not set.

After graduation, Wang is considering applying to graduate school to become a teacher. Growing up, she loved some classes, and disliked others. But she studied hard because she loves to learn, and knew it would be worthwhile. She wants to teach her students to love learning, and have fun doing so.

“Not only do I love watching the child grow,” Wang said. “I also want them to be happy.”