Meet Monday

Junior didn’t want to go to Syracuse, but now loves it

Prince Dudley | Staff Photographer

After graduation Harris Rothfeld aims to combine his financial and creative knowledge through work in business development.

Harris Rothfeld had no intention of applying to Syracuse University, but now that he is on the hill, he has fallen in love with the school he was encouraged to apply to.

“Everything aligned properly,” Rothfeld said. “When I looked at what I wanted out of a school I realized this was the complete package.”

Rothfeld, a junior television, radio and film and finance dual major, is using his opportunity to pursue his passion: storytelling.

Theater was Rothfeld’s gateway to storytelling. In eighth grade, a teacher pushed him to audition for the school musical, where he got a lead role. He is still involved in theater while at SU, and will appear in What Theatre’s production of “The Rimers of Eldritch.”

With each story Rothfeld tells, he aims to spark a reaction from his audience. He sees it as a way to generate conversation and get people talking about things that aren’t mundane.

As a finance student, Rothfeld said he forgot how fun performing is, despite being able to flex his creative muscles in his communications classes. After graduating, he hopes to combine his financial and creative knowledge by working in business development.

Self improvement is always high on Rothfed’s to do list. He spent his fall semester in Madrid, trying to improve his Spanish skills and exploring Europe.

“Studying abroad develops your growth as a student and as a human being,” Rothfeld said. “Unfortunately, not everybody gets to go abroad or gets to experience going to school in another country, but if you get the opportunity, take it.”

Rothfeld said he was prepared for a school the size of SU and the study abroad experience because of his background. He grew up in rural Pennsylvania but went to a large high school — his graduating class consisted of 800 students.

“I’m not afraid of going into a scenario with a lot more people, in fact I love that idea,” Rothfeld said. “I think the greater chance of you meeting new people from different cities or backgrounds is only going to make you a better person.”

Since he arrived on campus, Rothfeld has thrown himself into several organizations. He is involved in Enactus, Hillel and the fraternity Sigma Phi Epsilon. He cherishes his experiences — he always wanted to see the Syracuse men’s basketball team make the Final Four, which it did last year.

During his senior year, Rothfeld plans to stay involved. He likes to treat each day as a new day and new opportunity.

“You have an opportunity and you’re never know when you’re going to get it again,” Rothfeld said. “Syracuse is the biggest opportunity there is and you just want to take advantage of your four years.”