Syracuse says it hasn’t hired former SU point guard Allen Griffin as assistant coach

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse.com cited a text from Boeheim saying no hire had been made, and team spokesman Pete Moore confirmed in a text to The Daily Orange that SU has not hired Griffin as a third assistant coach.

Syracuse says it has not hired former SU point guard Allen Griffin as an assistant coach after CBS Sports reported earlier Sunday that Griffin would fill the open spot on Jim Boeheim’s staff.

Syracuse.com cited a text from Boeheim saying no hire had been made, and team spokesman Pete Moore confirmed in a text to The Daily Orange that SU has not yet hired Griffin as a third assistant coach.

Griffin, who served as an assistant coach at Dayton for five seasons, played for Boeheim from 1997-2001. Griffin averaged 10.8 points and 6.5 assists per game in his senior season as a captain and starting point guard for the Orange. If hired, he would fill Mike Hopkins’ spot.

Griffin played professionally until 2003, when he returned to SU as an administrative assistant to Boeheim. In 2005, Griffin took his first coaching job as an assistant at St. Francis (New York) College. He also coached at Providence and Hofstra before moving to Dayton’s staff.

Prior to the 2011 season, it came down to Griffin and Adrian Autry Sr. for a spot as an assistant coach on Syracuse’s staff. If Griffin eventually joins the Orange’s staff, both will coach together for the first time.