Syracuse University announces 2017-18 Remembrance Scholars

On Dec. 21, 1988, the commercial airliner Pan Am Flight 103 was destroyed by a bomb in a terrorist attack. 35 SU students were killed in the bombing.

Syracuse University on Wednesday announced the selection of the 2017-18 Remembrance Scholars, who will represent and pay tribute to victims of the 1988 Pan Am Flight 103 bombing.

The Remembrance Scholar Selection Committee awarded the scholarship this year to 35 students from a range of different schools and colleges, including the College of Arts and Sciences, the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, among others, according to an SU News release. Each scholar is awarded $5,000.

On Dec. 21, 1988, the commercial airliner Pan Am Flight 103 was destroyed by a bomb in a terrorist attack. SU students returning to the United States from Florence, Italy and London — after studying abroad for a semester — were among the 270 people killed in the bombing. Remembrance Scholars each represent one of the 35 SU students who perished in the flight. The first Remembrance Scholars were selected in 1990.

Two Remembrance Scholars are also selected from Lockerbie, Scotland, to attend SU for a year of study. Andrew Dorrance and Heather Mutch, both Lockerbie Academy students, will be the two Lockerbie representatives this year.

The list of SU scholars released by the university Wednesday can be found below. All Remembrance Scholars are currently juniors:

• Zainab Abdali of Houston, Texas, an English and textual studies and mathematics major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Ali Abdullah of Ewing, New Jersey, a biology major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Alex Alvarez of Caguas, Puerto Rico, a Latino-Latin American studies major in the College of Arts and Sciences and a television, radio and film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
  • Cierra Britton of Basking Ridge, New Jersey, a political science major in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
  • Madeleine Buckley of Owings, Maryland, a magazine major in Newhouse and policy studies major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell; Buckley is also a staff writer for The Daily Orange
  • Elissa Candiotti of Hewlett, New York, a broadcast and digital journalism major in Newhouse
  • Kathryn Cassidy of Framingham, Massachusetts, a history major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell, social studies education major in the College of Arts and Sciences and School of Education, and Spanish language, literature and culture major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Tori Cedar of Hazlet, New Jersey, a communications sciences and disorders and psychology major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Bryan Cereijo of Hialeah, Florida, an international relations major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell and a photography major in Newhouse; Cereijo is also a staff photographer for The Daily Orange
  • Katherine Conti of Erie, Pennsylvania, an international relations major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell
  • Ricky Diep of Quincy, Massachusetts, a systems and information science major in the College of Engineering and Computer Science
  • Jacob Gedetsis of Cleveland, Ohio, an English and textual studies major in the College of Arts and Sciences and newspaper and online journalism major in Newhouse; Gedetsis is also the former enterprise editor for The Daily Orange
  • Amya Hosenn of Syracuse, New York, a political science major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell
  • Kylie Kerker of Snohomish, Washington, a biology and neuroscience major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Tessa Latrenta of Colts Neck, New Jersey, an advertising major in Newhouse
  • Raymond Levine of Erie, Pennsylvania, a policy studies and political science major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell
  • Madeline Lorang of Bigfork, Montana, a geography and citizenship and civic engagement major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell
  • Leonardo Marino of Pulaski, New York, a linguistic studies major in the College of Arts and Sciences and music composition major in the College of Visual and Performing Arts
  • Joshua McMaster of Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, a computer art and animation major in VPA
  • Kelsey Montondo of Depew, New York, a public health major in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics
  • Evanna Ojeda of Miami, Florida, an international relations and political science major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell
  • Jacqueline Page of Potomac, Maryland, an international relations major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell and television, radio and film major in Newhouse
  • Anjana Pati of Millstone Township, New Jersey, a neuroscience and psychology major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Kennedy Patlan of Fort Worth, Texas, an advertising major in Newhouse, a citizenship and civic engagement major in Maxwell, and a women’s and gender studies major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Justine Paul of Ashland, Pennsylvania, a bioengineering major in the College of Engineering and Computer Science
  • Megan Phan of Sylmar, California, a chemistry and neuroscience major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Kiran Ramsey of Indianapolis, Indiana, an information management and technology major in the School of Information Studies; Ramsey is also the former digital design editor for The Daily Orange
  • Hannah Rebar of Hilton, New York, a bioengineering major in the College of Engineering and Computer Science
  • Brittany Reed of Rexford, New York, a bioengineering major in the College of Engineering and Computer Science
  • Bronte Schmit of Syracuse, New York, a magazine major in Newhouse; Schmit is also a former gender and sexuality columnist for The Daily Orange
  • Marisa Torelli Pedevska of New York, New York, a television, radio and film major in Newhouse
  • Xintong Wang of Handan, China, an applied mathematics and economics major in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Erin Welsh of Clarence, New York, a political science major in the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell
  • Melissa Wherry of East Windsor, New Jersey, a psychology major in the College of Arts and Sciences and studio arts major in VPA
  • Sudan Zhuang of Queens, New York, an information management and technology major in the iSchool and marketing management major in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management