Juice Jam 2017

Why some students decided to not go to Juice Jam

For the first time in three years, Juice Jam did not sell out. Non-jammers cite their lack of interest in the artists and the festival's lack of advertising as the reasons they didn't attend.

UPDATED: Sept. 10, 2017 at 11:36 p.m.

University Union was selling tickets for Juice Jam up until an hour before it started.

For the past three years the concert has sold out. This year it did not. Students opted out of attending this year because of reasons including dissatisfaction with the lineup and simply not knowing about it.

Peter Campbell, a freshman mechanical engineer major, said he wanted to see more well-known and higher-tier artists, a sentiment also echoed across social media.

“I wasn’t really interested in who was performing there. I don’t like Ugly God, really and Diplo is not my style of music either,” Campbell said.

Others were unaware that the event was happening.

“I don’t know what Juice Jam is,” said Sagarika Naik, an information studies graduate student.

She said the event could have been publicized better by sending out flyers. When informed about event details, Naik said tickets, priced at $20, were overpriced.

Maia Baptista, a freshman public relations major also didn’t know about the event and recently heard people talking about it.

“I don’t want to spend money to see people I don’t really like,” Baptista said.

She added that she was unclear about the date of the event and agreed that Juice Jam lacked advertising.

While the concerts were held on Skytop Field on South Campus, students still filled main campus, lounging on the quad, socializing on University Place promenade and studying in Carnegie and Bird Library.

“It’s a really nice day so I don’t mind just having a chill, quiet Sunday. I really like it when campus is quiet,” said Briana Perez, a freshman industrial design major.

Many freshmen didn’t think it was necessary to go because of other free events they could go to.

“I don’t feel like I’m missing out too much, honestly. I just feel like there’s a lot of events so I just figured I’d go to something else,” said Allie Manziano, a freshman communications design major.

Students also took the day to study and catch up on work.