College Democrats work to engage SU community 1 year after Trump inauguration

Myelle Lansat | Social Media Director

Maurice Brown is a senior communication and rhetorical studies major, military veteran and member of the College Democrats.

UPDATED: Jan. 23, 2018 at 9:34 p.m.

Editor’s note: In light of the first anniversary of President Donald Trump’s inauguration, The Daily Orange sought to publish a story about the activities of the College Democrats and College Republicans at Syracuse University. The College Republicans did not respond to requests for comment for this story.

One year and more than 2,600 tweets after President Donald Trump was inaugurated, the College Democrats at Syracuse University are turning their dissatisfaction with the administration into civic engagement.

In recent years, the group has teetered on and off with involvement depending on the political climate, said Jordan Lally, a senior public relations major and acting president of College Democrats. But things have changed for the group since Trump was elected. In the past year, Lally said more than 20 freshmen have joined the College Democrats, and their numbers are still growing.

Emma Peca, a freshman political science major and the communications director for College Democrats, joined the group at SU’s involvement fair during the fall 2017 semester. By the end of her first semester on campus, she was elected to the organization’s executive board.

“A lot of freshmen joined this year, and I think that shows how motivated people are to really get involved, especially after the election,” Peca said.

Since Trump was elected, the College Democrats have worked on and off the SU Hill to initiate conversation among students and residents. Their goal is to educate the community on relevant issues, emphasize the role of the voter and help register voters across the city, said Maurice Brown, a senior communication and rhetorical studies major, military veteran and member of the College Democrats.

a1_courtesy

Courtesy of SU College Democrats

Lally said she became involved in politics after the election. She said this has been the case for many liberal students involved in the organization.

“More people are paying attention to what’s happening, and the younger they are the better, because they will join as soon as they get here,” she said. “We’ll be the first people they look for when they get on campus.”

Peca said an open dialogue between both sides and parties isn’t easy in today’s polarized climate. She said it’s important to give students with opposing views opportunities to express themselves because it leads to understanding.

“Sometimes it’s hard because the other person isn’t always willing to listen, so you have to be patient and try not to get heated — which is very easy for people to do these days,” Peca said.

During a rare debate in November between the College Democrats and College Republicans, Brown said the room would make noises as a response to unpopular views when it was time for the College Republicans to speak. This upset Brown, who said he felt the debate didn’t provide a safe space for College Republicans.

“If we don’t listen to them when we are in the majority, why do we expect them to listen to us? That bothered me,” he said.

Brown said he wants to keep lines of communication open between College Democrats and College Republicans. He stressed the importance of bringing together different communities, both on and off campus, to share experiences.

“So many groups are under attack, and there are ways we can support those groups. The College Democrats found a good space where we can do that outreach,” Brown said.
senate-majority-1

Anna Henderson | Digital Design Editor

The College Democrats have supported Democratic candidates in Syracuse in the past, including 2017 mayoral candidate Juanita Perez Williams. Lally said the group wants to engage people in the area ahead of the midterm elections in November.

Democrats need 24 seats to be the House majority in the November midterm election. Locally, three candidates are in the running — two of whom are Democrats — in what is considered a crucial win by the House Democrats in Washington, D.C., according to Syracuse.com.

Currently, Rep. John Katko (R-Syracuse) occupies the 24th Congressional District seat covering Onondaga, Cayuga and Wayne counties and the western half of Oswego County. Democrats Anne Messenger, an executive coach and consultant, and Dana Balter, a visiting assistant teaching professor at SU, began campaigning for Katko’s seat in 2017.

In the upcoming weeks, the College Democrats will host a debate for congressional candidates on campus to give students a chance to meet and understand each candidate’s campaign. Lally said this opportunity would educate the city on voter importance and increase involvement.

“Politics should be very important to everybody, regardless of age, but college students especially, because it’s about to be our responsibility to step up into leadership roles in politics and everywhere else in the world,” Lally said.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the College Democrats’ recognition of congressional candidate Dana Balter was misstated. The Daily Orange regrets this error.