THETA TAU

Chancellor addresses Theta Tau videos at last University Senate meeting of the year

Kai Nguyen | Photo Editor

Chancellor Kent Syverud said the University Senate should be "troubled" by the Theta Tau videos.

Almost the entirety of the final University Senate meeting of the academic year on Wednesday was filled with discussion about the suspension of SU’s chapter of the Theta Tau fraternity.

“What has happened today should shake people up in this room because if this is who you think we are as a community, you should be really troubled,” said Chancellor Kent Syverud, during the meeting.

The university confirmed Theta Tau was involved in the creation of online videos showing fraternity members engaging in behaviors that were “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities,” Syverud said in a campus-wide email on Wednesday.

What has happened today should shake people up in this room because if this is who you think we are as a community, you should be really troubled.
Kent Syverud, Syracuse Chancellor

In recordings obtained by The Daily Orange showing the videos, which were filmed in Theta Tau’s house, a person forces another person to his knees and asks him to repeat an “oath” including racial slurs.

“I solemnly swear to always have hatred in my heart for n*ggers, sp*cs and most importantly the f*ckin’ k*kes,” the person on his knees repeats.

The videos were posted in a secret Facebook group called “Tau of Theta Tau” by a user named David Yankowy III, the recordings show.

Francine D’Amico, a teaching professor of international relations, spoke up to mention that a group of about a dozen students attended Senate because of concerns related to the Theta Tau videos. D’Amico asked the chancellor to speak more specifically about the actions he wanted to take moving forward.

Jack Wilson, president of the university’s Graduate Student Organization, presented a resolution to the Senate that stated the governing body found the behaviors of Theta Tau to be “reprehensible,” and called upon the university administration to take appropriate action.

Those in attendance deliberated the resolution for several minutes. Some argued over clarity about what actions were needed, while others said action had already been taken because the fraternity was suspended.

“A lot has happened fast today, so in some ways it feels like a lot of decisions were made quickly about the next steps,” Syverud said. “But again, what was emphasized by students in the session I just came from was a lot that’s happened fast today has also been happening in various ways for a long time.”

Syverud said an increase in implicit bias training for faculty and staff could be one point of improvement. He said it has been a long time since he has had implicit bias training, and the same may be true for other faculty and staff.

He added that he’s processing what he’s heard. Representatives of SU’s Student Association gave suggestions on how to move forward. Other community members also spoke during the event.

Of the dozens of faculty, staff and students Syverud talked to on Wednesday, he said there was uniform agreement that this conduct is antithetical to the university’s values and that the SU community needs to reaffirm what it stands for.

The university, Syverud said, needs to take more concrete steps moving forward to support the vision of SU that is student-focused and inclusive.

MORE COVERAGE: 

The chancellor added that some students are concerned about their voices being heard but no change being made. He emphasized that the semester is not over yet, and there are still a few weeks left before classes let out.

“There was a terrific amount of anger expressed, but also frustration at this and other incidents, and eagerness for concrete next steps beyond talking or dialogue at Hendricks Chapel,” Syverud said.

Alberto Lainez, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he was frustrated with SU’s decision to have a formal investigation into the behavior of Theta Tau. He said the video was all the proof the university needed to say the fraternity violates what SU stands for.

“If no action is taken swiftly … if you don’t take any action, it kind of represents what this school is about,” Lainez said. “And if you represent that, you’re a part of the issue.”

Robert Van Gulick, a professor of philosophy, said he sympathized with Lainez’s remarks, but added that action has been taken. He said it’s important that the university follow its judicial code and process, as it does with all organizations and individuals.

If no action is taken swiftly … if you don’t take any action, it kind of represents what this school is about. And if you represent that, you’re a part of the issue.
Alberto Lainez, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences

After several senators and others in attendance gave their thoughts on the issue, the discussion was closed so the Senate could vote on the resolution presented by Wilson. The students who attended the meeting to express concerns immediately left upon realizing the discussion was over. As they walked out, one student said she was frustrated and disappointed with the lack of specificity around what the university’s actions would be.

Ultimately, the resolution passed, and the Senate meeting continued with other agenda items. But when Jamie Winders, chair of and professor in the geography department, gave her presentation on foundation grants, she brought the issue back up. She said she wanted to point out that the Senate used its rules to exclude students from the meeting.

She added that she knows the rules are necessary, but this is something the Senate must consider in the future.

“We used our rules to shut down a conversation about something that’s incredibly important,” Winders said. “Our students are upset. They’re scared, and we basically said, ‘We’re too busy to hear you.’”