Seedstock music mestival to celebrate 10th anniversary this weekend

Courtesy of Chris Merkley

The Seedstock music festival will celebrate its 10th anniversary this weekend.

Nestled in the rolling hills outside of Cortland is a farm with the words “Reed’s Seeds” emblazoned on its main barn. Verdant fields of beets, kale and cabbage grow all around. A white house with emerald clapboard shutters sits out front on a gentle slope. Despite its humble, agrarian setting, Reed’s Seeds turns into the locus of music and art for one weekend every August in what is known as Seedstock.

Seedstock, now in its tenth year, is an annual music festival featuring food, bands and artists from the central New York area. This year, 28 artists are lined up for Aug. 3-5, with organizers expecting nearly 1,000 visitors, according to Chris Merkley, a co-founder of the event. But it didn’t start out this way.

“Originally, it was just our friends’ bands and local bands, but as it grew, the bands started to come from farther and farther,” Merkley said.

14911688355_a71c83939c_k-1

Courtesy of Chris Merkley

Back in 2008, Merkley said he and some friends were renting the farmhouse at Reed’s Seeds, when the farm lawn’s “natural amphitheater” inspired them to host a small music concert. The show only drew about 200 people for one night, but word of mouth and a shared love of music grew the show into what it is today, Merkley said.

puppies

Three years ago, it expanded into a three-day event, and it has since headlined some of the biggest regional acts, including Sophistafunk and The Blind Spot. But the old farmhouse still serves as the focal point of the fest.

In the front of the building, a large stage is erected at the bottom of the natural amphitheater, and the back porch serves as an additional, smaller stage. Acts switch off between the two, so there is never any musical down time.

img_8529-1

Courtesy of Chris Merkley

With this expanded scope, attendees can expect more than just music. The event also includes masseuses, art displays, an activity tent for children and local food samplings. Allan Gandelman, the co-owner of the organic Mainstreet Farms, said it’s a great opportunity for festival goers to sample his produce and learn about organic farming.

“It’s an educational experience for all that come out,” Gandelman said.