Grammy-nominated a cappella group to perform at Hendricks Chapel

Syracuse University has a reputation for its ability to attract a variety of artists and music groups — some of the biggest names in the industry having performed in the Carrier Dome. This semester alone, T. Pain and A$AP Ferg performed for the annual Juice Jam Music Festival.  

This weekend, three-time Grammy-nominated music group Sweet Honey in the Rock will perform at Hendricks Chapel. The performance is set to take place on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 7 p.m., and admission is free. 

Sweet Honey in the Rock’s career has spanned 45 years. Its first appearance was at Howard University in 1973 under the guidance of its founding member, Bernice Johnson Reagon. Reagon — who at the time was teaching a vocal workshop with the DC Black Repertory Company — was able to book the group’s debut concert at the Last Colony Theatre. They were then able to showcase their music style, a blend of numerous genres often difficult to categorize. 

“Our music is based on the African-American spiritual tradition — spirituals, gospel, sorrow songs, and the blues,” said founding member Carol Maillard. “We evolve the way our music has evolved.”  

Maillard said the band’s iconic sound is a blend of contemporary hip-hop, jazz R&B and soul music, among others. 

“It’s all a part of who we are, what we listen to and how we express ourselves musically,” she said. 

The founding members of the all-women a cappella ensemble — Reagon, Maillard, Patricia Johnson and Evelyn Harris — released their self-titled debut album in 1976 through the Flying Fish Records label. Their sound is inspired by the works of Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin and common jazz artists of the era. 

Beyond the records, Sweet Honey in the Rock has built a reputation as powerful storytellers, both vocally and visually. During their stage tours, they often incorporate both dancing and sign language to enhance the performances for concertgoers. The inspiration to use sign language came during the group’s travels through California during the 1970s women’s movement and recognizing the importance of inclusivity for people of all backgrounds. 

“The women’s movement was being extraordinarily conscious and proactive in terms of making sure that women could attend their events,” Maillard said. She added that the group was impressed with the sign language focus and increased accessibility with wheelchair access.  

The group’s dedication to touring to countries such as Japan, Uganda, and France, has enabled the group to collect a diverse listening demographic. They have performed at some of the most prestigious venues across the country, often in conjunction with events focused on social change. Globally, Sweet Honey in the Rock has protested against the South African apartheid alongside Maya Angelou, before later performing at the Redwood Cultural Festival in Berkeley, California.  They were also chosen as the group to be featured in PBS’ special for the first Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in 1986.   

For Maillard, the best part of going on tour is getting to enjoy a place they’ve never been to. 

“Being on the road is hard … But being able to take the music around the world is pretty incredible,” she said. “Independent artists don’t often get a chance to do that.”  

Throughout the group’s history, 28 women have joined and departed from the troupe, but one thing has remained constant: a dedication to socially-conscious music. Their latest record, “#LoveInEvolution,” features the hit single, “Second Line Blues.” The cadence is haunted by the names of those killed at the hands of police brutality and mass shooters, including the names of Sandy Hook victims and Trayvon Martin.  

For students attending this weekend’s performance, Maillard said she hopes their concert will expand audience’s experiences and understanding of the world they live in.