Dining

Forget microwave dorm ramen, Kasai Ramen just opened in Armory Square

Lauren Miller | Asst. Video Editor

Kasai Ramen, a new ramen restaurant in downtown Syracuse, features homemade noodles, bao buns and fried chicken sandwiches with traditional Japanese flare.

Syracuse is finally getting a ramen restaurant. 

Kasai Ramen, located in Armory Square, opened at 11 a.m. Monday. Kyle Mastropietro, the restaurant’s owner, said he hopes to “wow” guests with a combination of an authentic eatery and modern scenery. 

Nestled in a large and open space with wood garnishes on the walls, diners can enjoy two levels of seating — the main level has a grand bar, decorated in an elegant marble, while ground level seating provides a view of the kitchen. 

“I think diners will feel like they are in east Manhattan,” Mastropietro said. “Every part of the restaurant is really connected and it’s just a fun spot to be in.” 

Opening a restaurant has been Mastropietro’s lifelong dream. After moving from Philadelphia to Syracuse, he realized he couldn’t find authentic-tasting ramen. So, he began to explore how to make his own. When the opportunity presented itself to open his own ramen restaurant, Mastropietro seized it. 

“I’ve participated in other people opening restaurants, but this will be my first time owning one,” Mastropietro said. “But this is what I have always wanted, and I brought Tom and Ryan on for the ride.” 

Tom Long and sous chef Ryan Barrett have been in the restaurant business for an extended period of time as well. Before Kasai Ramen, Barrett worked as a sous chef at Noodle Noodle in Turning Stone Resort Casino. 

With their past experiences and expertise, Barrett, Long and Mastropietro created a menu to reflect traditional Japanese cuisine while incorporating a style of their own.  

“We studied the fundamentals of ramen and we really want to leave it there,” Long said. “Traditional Japanese ramen really needs no tweaking, but we also want to put our own little influence on it as well, which I think people will see through our menu.” 

Kasai Ramen aims to foster a welcoming and communal atmosphere. The dishes are designed for sharing — an opportunity to inspire customers to try new foods.  

“Maybe someone can try a sea urchin for the first time or get a couple of appetizers and have our full duck for a shared entree,” Barrett said. 

The restaurant hosted pop-ups around Syracuse several months before its opening in an effort to gauge customer perception.  

spec_embed_laurenmiller_asst-videoeditor

Lauren Miller | Asst. Video Editor

Barrett said the restaurant’s main mission is to make its food accessible to the entire Syracuse community. By sourcing nearly all of its ingredients locally, Barrett said Kasai Ramen hopes to create an experience of super high-end food at affordable prices, paired with a relaxed dining experience. The restaurant wants to help support local business and farms through its ingredients when possible, while also sourcing some specialty flowers, teas and salts from Japan. 

“When people see our menu, they may expect us to be stuffy or a little uptight, but it is not going to be like that whatsoever,” Mastropietro said. 

Tea is an essential part of the Kasai Ramen menu. The team is excited to grow the “tea scene” in Syracuse by highlighting the specialty teas they have to offer. 

The restaurant works with UniTea, a small business that gets in contact with the farmers of the teas overseas. Patrons can also enjoy a variety of other drinks, including Japanese whiskeys, traditional sake and seasonal cocktails. 

Kasai Ramen is open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Friday and 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays.