Cross Country

Syracuse men’s cross country wins Northeast Regionals for 6th-straight year, advance to NCAA Championships

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Aidan Tooker finished sixth in the race. The Orange had three runners finish in the top-10.

For the sixth year in a row, Syracuse men’s cross country won the NCAA Northeast Regionals in Buffalo.

Led by three runners in the top-10, the Orange scored 79 points and finished first in the 10-kilometer race and win an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships. It was SU’s tenth Northeast Regional title in the past 11 years.

Aidan Tooker ran the snow-covered Audubon Golf Course in 32:56.4, good for sixth place. Redshirt sophomore’s Dominic Hockenbury (32:58.1) and Joe Dragon (33:01.6) finished seventh and eighth, respectively, just behind Tooker.

Before the meet, Tooker said the team was “disappointed” after its second place finish at ACC Championships in Boston two weeks ago and needed to “show up, take names, and have no excuses,” in Buffalo.

An hour earlier, the women’s team finished sixth with 155 points, missing out on the top-two automatic qualification spots for NCAA Championships.

Redshirt senior Shannon Malone won an individual title as she ran the 6k course in 21:28.7, finishing 11 seconds clear of Iona’s Egle Morenaite. Malone finished third last season at Northeast Regionals. Friday was her second race of the season, after placing fifth in her season debut at ACC Championships two weeks ago.

Next Saturday, the No. 12 ranked men’s team will compete at the NCAA Championships in Madison, Wisconsin.