Liberal Column

Cuomo’s quoting of racial slur still not acceptable

Karleigh Merritt- Henry | Digital Design Editor

While Cuomo meant no harm, by just saying the word, he entrenches the idea that saying the n-word is just fine in the minds of many New Yorkers.

In a radio interview Tuesday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo used the n-word while quoting a New York Times op-ed about Italian racial slurs. While his statement was not malicious, it still holds serious weight and reinforces racial norms in this country that many have been trying to change for decades. Cuomo’s use of the word, uncensored, is yet another sign that he is out of touch with the average New Yorker.

New York Assemblyman Charles Barron, an African American activist and former member of the Black Panthers, said the Governor’s remarks were “very inappropriate” and “disrespectful” and said Cuomo “owes the black community an apology.”

Barron is exactly right. Under no circumstances is it appropriate for a government official to say such racially charged things publicly. While Cuomo meant no harm, by just saying the word, he entrenches the idea that saying the n-word is just fine in the minds of many New Yorkers.

This is not the first time a Cuomo’s views on anti-Italian sentiment has gotten headlines.

In August, a clip of Chris Cuomo, a CNN host and the governor’s brother, went viral showing Chris yelling and getting belligerent towards a man who called him “Fredo” in reference to the movie The Godfather. Chris claimed that “Fredo” is a racial slur against Italians and berated the man who was likely just trying to get a rise out of Chris.

The rants about Italian heritage from both Cuomo brothers is out of touch with what matters to New Yorkers and Italian-Americans in this country. Gov. Cuomo will likely spend the next few days defending himself and running the press gambit in defense of his statements while crucial issues in the state go unsolved.

Nick Robertson is a freshman news and online journalism and policy studies major. His column appears bi-weekly. He can be reached at njrobert@syr.edu. He can be followed on Twitter at @NickRobertsonSU.