Liberal Column

Student activism makes the case for generational change

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

Since the news of racist graffiti and vandalism at Day Hall broke, numerous additional racist incidents have filled students with a sense of responsibility to voice their concerns and to protest. It is imperative that we all say with one voice that racism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, transphobia and any animus toward a person because of who they are has no place at Syracuse University and in this society.

A time of such hardship calls on those involved to rise to the occasion, and in this past week, it has become abundantly clear that the students are mature and able to lead in this time of crisis.

The school has proven time and time again that they are incapable of handling race-related and bias-related incidents. Administrators and officials who were sought out for answers and guidance initially provided shallow responses with few actual details.

The administrators have essentially abdicated their authority in this situation. It looks as though they are more interested in having the students provide solutions than to actually do it themselves. It appears the tables have turned.

Generational theory states that generations tend to recur in similar, but not exact, ways. The idea is that our generation, Generation-Z, would be the contemporary version of the G.I., Greatest Generation that won World War II.

The student leadership displayed thus far is parallel to that of other large movements such as March for Our Lives and shows the genuine character and leadership of our generation.

The activism and dedication of our generation shows promise. If we continue, we might just prove generational theory right.

It’s important to remember that, although this activism has been led by students, that does not mean that it is emblematic of a generational battle. There have been people of all ages expressing their support of this student-led movement.

Right now, students are in a position to make real change. This movement must continue with an unwavering commitment to its goals and maintain accountability for the administration so as not to dilute the ultimate demands of this student movement.

David Bruen is a freshman political science and policy studies major. His column appears bi-weekly. He can be reached at drbruen@syr.edu. He can be followed on Twitter @David__Bruen.